Friday, September 30, 2011

In Sickness & In Health

It's been a relatively quiet week at our house as I've been knocked out of commission by the dreaded "change of seasons" cold.  I woke up Tuesday with a tingle at the back of my throat and by Thursday I was pretty much sleeping the day away.  Todd has been on full time doggy duty, cold medicine purchasing and dispensing, and otherwise taking care of all the miscellaneous household things that I have been sleeping through. 

Todd is the best person to have around when you're sick.  He's a wonderful caretaker with never ending patience and generosity.
Then again, I might be a little biased.

Todd and I met online in the winter of 2005.  The first conversation we ever had was about nailing jell-o to the wall.  That is not a joke, but it should give you some insight about the kind of sense of humor you are likely to see around here.  That is literally what we talked about.  Todd's wedding gift to me was the printed transcript of our entire first conversation and we both got a good laugh over how completely random it was.  It also went on for something like 3 hours. 

That first conversations led to more online conversations and then eventually phone calls that lasted all night long.  There were days I would hang up the phone and hop in the shower to go to work.  I have no idea how I survived that period in my life.  I broke all my rules for Todd.  Stupid dating rules about when to talk and how to talk and who should talk to who first.  It took a month for us to meet and when we did, it was at 4 a.m. for breakfast at Perkins.  Not one single thing about our relationship started off traditional.

It was easy, though.  It was always easy and it always felt right.  There were no fundamental issues between us.  Todd is the most easygoing person on the planet and he's the perfect complement to my occasional neurotic tendencies.  We're a team, and we've been a team from the beginning.  We both pitch in to make our household run, we both pitch in to make our relationship work.  I imagine that we'll both pitch in when this house is filled with dirty diapers and midnight feedings as well.  This is the natural rhythm that we fell into together, and it works so easily and so effortlessly and I cannot imagine it any other way.  I have said, from the very beginning, that I am more myself with Todd than I am with any other person on this planet - and that's the only way this marriage could ever work.

I am reminded of this, especially, in these days when I'm not feeling so great.  I am free to whine and pout and crab and sleep and Todd?  He just keeps on taking care of me. 

He's going to be such a great daddy.

No comments:

Post a Comment