Saturday, September 17, 2011

Adoption on TV - Parenthood

One of my favorite shows (and as a pop culture junkie, the list of favorite shows is impressive) is Parenthood on NBC.  I'm a huge fan of Lauren Graham from her Gilmore Girls days and in general I find this show to be very sweet.  Season three kicked off with a continuation of a storyline where characters Julia and Joel are pursuing adoption.  In their first scene, they are making an adoption video and arguing over what information is relevant -- do we include the fact that we sometimes listen to Lady Gaga?  How important is the diversity of our music tastes, really?  I can tell you that, as a couple new to these adoption waters - this scene rang VERY true to us.  It's so hard to capture the essence of yourself, your sincerity and all of the little quirks and nuances that make you you.  I'm positive that we will not be chosen as adoptive parents based on whether or not we listen to Gaga - but it might actually be the thing that captures someone's attention.  What do we leave in?  What do we leave out?  I guess that's the benefit of having this blog -- here, you will get everything (including, at some point I am sure, an in depth look at our music tastes)!

The rest of that storyline isn't doing anything for me.  While I know it's (probably) meant to be funny, I'm not really crazy about the "buying the latte girls baby" bit.  It might just be that I've been learning and embracing the whole language of adoption, but it's also that -- that's not how it works.  We're not buying babies, and we're certainly not walking up to pregnant women and asking if we can buy theirs.  I'm interested in how this storyline will play out, but I suspect that in the end it will get the same adoption treatment as most TV shows give which is a shame.  Adoption - the process and the relationships within - is fascinating enough on its own.  A true-to-life portrayal would make interesting TV, I think.  Though, I'm a bit biased about that, I suppose.

In other news, while reading through the archives of Cathy & Dave's Adoption Journey blog this morning, I stumbled upon the fact that George Lucas, one of Todd's biggest hero's, is an adoptive father.  I think now we know the real reason why Todd finally jumped 110% on board!  How very very cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment