Sunday, March 4, 2012

Weekend Round Up

This weekend was mostly about blood sweat and tears.
Well - blood and sweat, anyway.  Despite the existence of those two things, there was a remarkable absence of tears.  After months of pretending like that back bedroom's sole existence was to hide all our junk when people stay at our house, Todd put the ball back in motion to resume stripping the room of it's sea green floral wallpaper.  Casualties so far include one finger cut, one fingernail "situation", and unbelievably sore shoulders.

I have to admit something here.  I've been in a bit of a funk lately.  I've known that we had to get back to the wallpaper at some point but I couldn't get myself motivated to get back to it.  Earlier in the week Todd had called me to impart some random piece of wisdom about wallpaper removal and then informed me that he had been working in that room, without me asking him to.  As I continued to work on it today, I became very grateful that he did this.  It lit the fire under me again.  I guess I needed him to lead the way to get me back in the game and once he did, I jumped in enthusiastically and now I'm on a mission.

Have I mentioned lately how grateful I am for Todd?

One of the things that came to mind as I was scrubbing goo off the walls of our soon-to-be Dr. Seuss themed nursery was a game we used to play in high school.  I cannot remember what it was called or exactly how it worked but involved a deck of cards and it basically played like MASH.  I think you assigned a person to a card type (spades, clubs, hearts, diamonds) and then you'd say things like "this person will be my best friend for life" and then flip the top card of the deck over and whatever the symbol was indicated who was going to be that for you.  You picked one card to be set aside and that card was revealed at the end as who you were going to wind up with.  Of course it's a ridiculous game and I didn't wind up with anyone I ever listed in those games (*sigh* your loss, Donnie Wahlberg), but I remember that in every single game I ever played one of my statements was "this person will be my Dr. Seuss."

I am happy to report that I did wind up marrying my Dr. Seuss.  Like I said, it wasn't anyone who was ever assigned to those cards.  The cards totally lied.

I don't know what the thing is with Dr. Seuss and my life except that Dr. Seuss created worlds full of color and quirky characters and laughter and wild imaginative words and stories.  That's exactly what I wanted my life to be. He brought lightness and silly to a heavy hard world.  I wanted to marry someone who would bring that to me.    Things don't always (read: hardly ever) work out the way I planned, but Todd brings those elements to me in different ways almost every day.

Anyway - enough about how awesome Todd is.  He's getting a big head.  :)
So, the nursery is coming along and once we get past this grueling wallpaper process, I'll share photos as it progresses.

The weekend wasn't all blood and sweat and somehow remembering a card game that I'm PRETTY sure we maybe made up 15 years ago.  We also got together with some dear friends of ours for food, conversation, and game night.  Much much needed laughter and a few rambunctious rounds of Catch Phrase were exactly what the doctor ordered.  We are so blessed with a solid, supportive and loving group of friends.  Life feels so heavy sometimes and these safe places we have to go to laugh, talk, and let go of our worries every once in a while lift our spirits and put us back on our feet again. 


All in all, a solid, uplifting weekend.  
Life is good. :)


2 comments:

  1. And if it helps, there is a Dr. Seuss crib quilt that is finished, and it is cute, cute, cute!

    ReplyDelete