Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Halloween By Todd


Well, Halloween has come and past and we had the usual amount of little ghosts and goblins hungry for their fix of candy stopped by our house last night.  So in honor of the event also known as a "Dentists Worst Nightmare", I thought I would give you all a little insight on how our Halloweens were celebrated when I grew up.

Well, first off for the people who are new to this blog or have not known me for a period of time, You have to understand that I grew up on a farm and lived out in the country.  When I was younger, we really did not have much money for any sort of fancy costumes like you see today.  A few years in a row I was a vampire because, well, you can buy fake teeth pretty cheap and about anything can be made into a cape.  I do remember one year when I was really young when I was dressed up as C3-PO from Star Wars ( this may have been the start of my strange obsession with the films). I remember the costume was a VERY cheap plastic mask and was pretty much a yellow poncho that was painted on the front to look like the character.  So, needless to say, it failed in the "realism" department.  As I am typing this, I think it might have been in kindergarten that I had that because I remember seeing it in a old picture my parents had of the elementary school parade.  And yes, I did say a elementary school Halloween parade.  I remember that for fact because we would all get excited, go outside in our costumes, and walk in front of the school as the parents would wait on the curbs with their cameras and snap away.
Its amazing what you can find on the Internet, This WAS my costume!!!

One thing that comes to mind was one year we decided to make a scare crow for the end of our sidewalk.  We took a pair of my coveralls and one of my old jackets and then stuffed leaves into garbage bad to make a filling for him.  Then his head was pretty much a paper bag with some marker on it.  Well, then once Halloween night came, we took down the scarecrow and I changed into his clothing and went out and sat in the chair he had been sitting in.  As the kids would come back from getting their candy, I would jump up out of the chair.  Needless to say, there were quite a few screams that night from surprised kids and adults as well.

Another memory I have is when I got a little older, I was invited by friend to go "trick or treating" in town.  This was a TOTALLY new concept to me.  See, living out in the country, you had to be driven to get your treats.  And usually you went to the grandparents houses and a few other random houses and maybe the neighbors also before calling it a night.  So when you lived out in the country, those cheap plastic pumpkins was about all you needed.  My first lesson in trick or treating-town style was before we even left the house.  My friend asked me what I was gonna use to put my candy in so I showed him my plastic bucket.  He just looked at me, laughed and said " That's not gonna work, just leave that their."  I kinda gave him a weird look as he then started to take the pillow cases off 2 pillows and handed me one of the cases.  I then asked what this was for and he said " To put the candy in dummy".  I still just kind of looked at the case but was like OK, whatever you want there weird-o.  Well, needless to say, that was a EXCELLENT call on his part.  We came back to his house and we had both filled our cases over 3/4 of the way full!!!!  I just could not believe how much candy these "city folk" were giving out.  So needless to say from that time on whenever I got the chance to go into town trick or treating, I was on board with it.


The Rockers!!!!  2008
Todd as LaDanian and Shell as Todd the Mayo Custodian - 2010













This year was a little more quiet for our usual trick or treaters.  Me and Shell think its because the holiday falls on a school night.  We still went through quite a bit of candy though but now that its over, its time to start taking down these decorations and put up some Halloween and Christmas lights while it still warm out.  Yes, we put up Christmas decorations this early but we NEVER light them until after Thanksgiving.

Also, some of the "Regular Followers" have said they like it better when I end my blogs with some of the funny pics I find while on the internet.  So I will now make it a point to end all my blog-ings with a couple funny pics.  Enjoy!!!



1 comment:

  1. lol, I think I remember "Todd the Scarecrow" at the end of the sidewalk =)

    ReplyDelete