Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Inked

I was 18 years old when I got my first tattoo. 
I remember feeling so cool - out with my friends, doing something my mom wouldn't approve of.
I didn't really have a game plan going in -- I just knew I wanted something on the inside of my right ankle.  So we paged through the books of our options and then I found it.  The one.  I had to have it.

Yep.

I have no idea.  This single tattoo inspired a years long frog collection.  I got frogs for every gift giving occasion for years.  I mean, I like frogs, but I cannot tell you why I chose to immortalize a goofy looking one on my body.  Obviously I would make a different decision if I were to do it today, but the plus side of the whole thing is that kids LOVE it.

A year later I went with some other friends so that they could get tattoos.  That really was how it was supposed to play out.  They were getting tattoos, I was just moral support.


Needless to say, things didn't work out quite like that.  This one hurt.  A lot.  In fact, it was never fully inked in (and has lost more ink over time) because I was too much of a weenie to let them finish it.  I love it though, it's in that space between the ankle and the heel.

Several years later I again went with friends to offer moral support while they got their tattoos.  This time, however, I did not come away inked.  Oh no.  On that day, I got my nose pierced instead.  Oh, how I loved that nose ring!  That piercing is long gone, I had to take it out when I took a new job about 9 years ago.  Nothing is left but a tiny little mark where it used to be, and memories of how cool I used to be.

For years I've been plotting my next adventure.  I have always known that I want another tattoo.  I have also always known that this one would be more meaningful.  My days of getting tattoos just for the heck of it are over.  I had always figured that I would work my children(s) name(s) into it somehow, or in some way have the next one be a reflection of my family.  Then, a few weeks ago, while wasting time on Pinterest, I found these beauties: 


That's the symbol for adoption.  The triangle represents the three sides of adoption -- the birth family, the adoptive family, and the adoptee.  The heart intertwined represents the love involved in the relationship of adoption.  I'm a sucker for symbols (and quotes!). 

I think this is "the one".  It'll still be tied to my family, to my child(ren), and also my child(ren)'s family.  

It's perfect.

No comments:

Post a Comment