Tuesday, October 4, 2011

For Love of Words


It's a terrible picture, but that's the light I had to work with when I got home today.  And that, also, is the surprise I came home to!  Todd's dad has been working on building us two bookcases for our upstairs living room area and one of them made its debut in our living room today.  I love it so much!   It's a project Todd worked on with his Dad so - not only is it beautiful, but also homemade and thus 100x more awesome.

PLUS - now my books have a home!
My poor books have been living in plastic totes since we moved into this house over two years ago.  This house was approximately three times bigger than the house we lived in before that, so when we moved in - our rooms  looked a little something like this:

Our upstairs - 3 months after we moved in. 
The bookcases Todd's Dad is making will flank the TV.
The final piece of this project involves acquiring a flat screen TV to mount between the bookcases.

Our basement - as it looked the first 3 months we lived here.


We've done pretty good at filling it in - I mean, we're not sitting in camping chairs anymore. Somehow, though, bringing my books out of exile makes it feel more...homey.  Todd does not necessarily share this feeling and does not, in fact, fully understand this love I have for books and words - although he came awfully close once he discovered Star Wars books.  I often have to consciously stop myself from turning my house into one big book - with words covering all the walls and possibly even the ceiling.  When trying to decorate people would ask what I like, what my style is?  And I have nothing -- just words. I love words.  So - we're trying to strike a balance.  It certainly helps that we've found a theme for our basement. 

In the meantime, I'm planning ways to share this love of books...and words...with our future children.  To start, it'll look a little something like this:







No comments:

Post a Comment