Thursday, December 29, 2011

Year Four


Four years ago, today, I married my best friend.

At this time, four years ago, we were freshly married and probably tooling around town taking pictures, having drinks, and making our way towards the reception.  It was the best day.  The happiest day.  One I would do over and over and over again in a heartbeat. 


There's no way I could have known what marriage would bring us.  How comfortably it would fit us.  How perfectly suited we are for each other.  We share an inappropriate sense of humor - the other day I asked Todd if he could imagine himself married to anyone else in the world.  He said he could not.  We cannot imagine that anyone would "get" us the way we "get" each other.  I have always said that the way I knew I could marry Todd is because I am more myself with him than I am with anyone else on this planet.  He makes me more me - and this is the first relationship I've ever had like that. 



It's not all sunshine, lollipops and roses and some days we grate on each others nerves or let each other down or get annoyed with each other for breathing each others air. We're only human. But even these everyday annoyances feel natural and safe. This marriage is our home. There is nowhere we belong more than here.
/


I think that we both thought we'd have kids by now. We certainly thought we'd both be employed by now. Sometimes life doesn't work out the way we plan. We're a team, though, so we muck through all these unexpected little life glitches together. We find a way to make them work. We find alternative solutions and carve out new life paths for ourselves. It's not always easy, but it's definitely easier when you have a teammate rooting you on, backing you up, pushing you through when things get too tough or too scary.


We're both ready to make this family of two a family of three (or four, or heck...five?  We'll see.) but we're also thoroughly enjoying this time together.  We're on this incredible journey and we're trying not to miss anything. 


I'm so thankful for my best friend and this life we've made together.  It's been a fast, wonderful four years and we look forward to many more ahead!






2 comments:

  1. Awww...yay! Happy anniversary! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love you both so much, I especially love you two TOGETHER. See you in 2012!!!!

    ReplyDelete