Monday, December 31, 2012

Two Thousand Thirteen


As I mentioned last year, New Years Eve is not my favorite holiday.  The good news is that I'm not the least bit stressed out about it this year because, let's face it, the only way I'm making it up til midnight tonight is if I'm nursing a fussy baby.  And I'm a-ok with that.  In fact, I cannot think of a better way to ring in the new year.

I'm feeling uncharacteristically optimistic about this holiday and the year ahead.  It may be because we accomplished so much in 2012.  In fact, 2012 may just go down as one of the best years we've ever had.  Our lives were picked up, shaken around, and then unceremoniously dumped upside down in a way that made them virtually unrecognizable to us.  And as someone who isn't crazy about change, this should have completely thrown me for a loop -- but it didn't.  I'm loving every minute of this.  I've loved almost every minute of this past year, from the day we found out I was pregnant, to the day I realized I no longer had any ankles, until the day my ankles miraculously reappeared.  I would do every single second of this past year over in a heartbeat.  I guess that's a sign of a year well lived.

2012 was notable in big ways (welcome to the world Henry Allan!) but in smaller ways that we didn't dwell much on.  In October, I graduated from college.  I didn't just graduate, I kicked college's butt.  I exited with a 4.0 GPA - which is nothing short of miraculous if you know anything about my first attempt at college 15(ish) years ago.  It's amazing what a little perspective and maturity can do.  I took the long way to get here, and unfortunately that means I'll be paying off student loans for the next infinity, but I'm proud of this accomplishment and the opportunities it will open up for me.  I worked hard for this.

Todd found a permanent position in 2012 after almost two years of unemployment.  This was a tremendous weight off our shoulders and an amazing opportunity for Todd.  It's been a challenging transition and career change for him, but he's been thriving and has tackled all the challenges thrown his way with determination and grace.  The two years of unemployment gave us some perspective on all of this and we're incredibly grateful that this opportunity was given to us.  It couldn't have been more timely.  In fact, if you look at all the gifts we've been given and goals we've accomplished this year, it's not difficult to see God's hand in all of this - how He literally paved the way for Henry's arrival.  It's pretty awe inspiring when looked at from that angle.

We're feeling very blessed.  It's been a tremendous year and we're feeling very hopeful and optimistic about the year ahead.  We'll ring in 2013 in a quiet, sleep deprived, unremarkable way - but it's the most satisfying way I've ever welcomed a new year. 

Wishing all of you the same "cup runneth over" feeling on this night and the year ahead.  Happy New Year everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment