Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Ok, how does this thing work again?? :-)

Well, its been awhile since I have been on the end of this "Writing a blog" thing. Bear with me as I have to remember where all the bells and whistles went to. 

First and foremost, just a few mins ago, we were at 625 "Likes".........WOW!!!!!  Its always a surprise to see the numbers climb and its always such a good feeling to know how many people are behind us rooting us on and all the people who have taken a personal interest in our FB page and our blog.  I know I am a broken record but THANK YOU EVERYONE!!!

OK, time to get to the meat and taters.  So I have a couple things on my mind so its hard for me to sort out which one I wanted to go so I just ended up flipping a coin today and that's how we got to the topic.  The topic today is being unemployed.  I know your thinking " What does this have to do with adoption?", well, just stay with me and I will get ya there.


As you all may know by now, I grew up in a farm family so working has never been any sort of issue for me.  Did not matter what job it was or where it was, I showed up, put in my time, and went home.  Since the age of 15 I have had a job.  Well, after spending 6 years at IBM doing geeky stuff ( manufacturing, but it was with servers ), I was offered an "opportunity" that I could not refuse.  Well, after spending a year and a half at this  "opportunity", I found out that I was being played so I moved onto something that us farm kids do best, working outside.  So the next close to 3 years was spent being a utility locator for a couple different companies.  If you don't know what a locator is, we pretty much mark where buried stuff is.  I always said that I was the guy who loved to paint yards with my orange paint cans.  Well, after spending some time doing that, I had the opportunity to advance and get into telecom.  Well, once I got in........ LOVED IT!!!  The company.......not so much but in the beginning, it balanced out.  Doing telecom combines nerdy things like setting up computers and routers to making Ethernet cables ( did you know I am a nerd? )  So after spending 2 years doing that, I found out the company was not doing great.  I won't go into details but it helps when the owner reinvests money into the company and not his own home.  So, One day I get called into the GM's office and he tells me I'm laid off.  2 things went through my head at that moment.......#1 Heck Yeah!!!  #2  OK, now what??

After I got laid off, Shell and me both agreed it was for the best since I was coming home stressed and totally unhappy.  And she was nice enough to give me the first 2 weeks of my unemployment to play video games and just hang out.  Well, by day 4 I was bored out of my mind.  Again, farm kid coming out of me I guess.  So after the first month of unemployment, I started job hunting again.  Well, needless to say, this was right as the economy hit rock bottom.  Well, a short unemployment turned into 10 months of job hunting and honey do lists.  I also started doing online schooling (that's a story of its own) and am still in school in fact.  So finally after 10 months of job hunting, I managed to find work at Mother Mayo as a custodian.  It was only supposed to be a 90 day assignment but they must have liked me because they extended me twice on day shift and then they moved me to nights and went through 2 different mangers.  My 90 days actually turned into 9 months and so, here we are again.


I must say though, I have seen many more openings now this time around and have also been applying like crazy to some.  I try to look at the positive as I am unemployed and some days are easier then others.  Again, so used to working then not working, its not as easy as everyone thinks it is.  All I do is plug through my homework for the week, do my honey do lists, and keep applying.  One thing I have thought about recently that Shelly and I have spoken about is that if we do get our child while I am still unemployed, I will be a stay at home dad.  So one way that I look at it is everyday I am getting my cooking, cleaning, and other skills in check for when a little one does show up.  I tend to keep going back to those positives when I am having a hard day and that tends to bring me out of my "Funk".

So pretty much everyday now is spent not only waiting for our child but also a call about a job.  Waiting........yup, I have learned to become very patient, that's for sure.  :-)

2 comments:

  1. I've always heard the saying "Good things come to those who wait" so keep the positive thoughts - and the sense fo humor!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shelly and Todd,
    So happy you hit the 600 mark and I enjoy reading your posts. Both of you are so inspiring in your writing with humor and positive thoughts always coming through. Thank you for sharing your journey with us!!
    ~ Love the Foxes

    ReplyDelete